New Regulations a Win for Hobby Drone Pilots
Drones were made legal for the first time in South Africa from 1 July 2015 and it is actually a big win for hobby drone users!
Under the new Regulations Hobby Drone Pilots:
- Do not need an RPL (Remote Pilots Licence).
- Do not need to register their RPAS (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems) aircraft.
- Do not need an aviation medical.
- Can fly RPAS up to 7kg weight.
- Can fly at night (previous not allowed for any RC aircraft).
- Can fly up to the height of the highest object in 300m of the drone (up to a max of 400 feet).
- Can fly up to 500m away from the pilot, while maintaining direct line of sight (RVLOS).
- Need to keep more than 50m from people.
- Need to keep more than 50m from roads.
- Need to keep more than 50m from buildings.
- Need to keep more than 10km from airports.
- May not fly in No Fly Zones.
No part of this website should be taken as legal advice!